Monday, October 13, 2008

The Rad Crawler, A Work In Progress

This is another shop toy I have been working on. I've been so busy that lately all its been doing is collecting all the shop dust. This was a pretty beat up buggy we picked up form a local wheeler. We then tore it down and started fixing mistakes and adding our own little touches to it. I wish I would have taken some "before" pictures, but I'll walk you through what I've done it it.



This is the first real tube work I have done by myself. I started with the cage then moved forward from there. The front fenders are tied into the A-pillar. I then did the front hoop and stinger tied to the fenders. the whole front end unbolts from the A-pillar for easy access to the engine if need be. The Dana 60 front end is being built now (when I have time) and will use a 3 link with coil-overs.


The corners are made from 3/16 plate that I designed and had cut and bent. This was done to keep the stock looking CJ-7 body and still have room for a 103 inch wheelbase and 40 inch tires. The back seat was replaced with a 20 gallon fuel cell and three locking tool boxes, all custom made by myself.

A different take on rock sliders, using two pieces of 3/16 plate and 1 3/4 tube that ties into the rear corner. Not finished yet, but almost. I just wish I would have done a boat side instead. Oh well.

The rear 14 bolt is in need of a lot of work. The triangulated 3 link will be replaced with a much stronger 4 link. The truss will be cut off and a new one made. Then the gears will be gone through as they don't feel right. WAY to much backlash! Stay tuned for this phase of the build up.

Some gussets I designed and had cut for us. The look great and are very functional. I just hope I don't hit my head on one of them!

No comments: